Salters’ Centenary Awards
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
To celebrate its Centenary in 2018 the Salters’ Institute has set up a new award scheme for postgraduate chemists and chemical engineers.
The purpose of the Awards is to recognise and support individuals who are starting out in their career and who have the potential to make an outstanding long-term contribution to the chemical and allied industries.
The Awards will be an important part of the Institute’s programme of activities in support of its mission to promote the practical applications of chemistry at all levels. Award holders will be asked to participate in the Institute’s educational activities and events with other Salters’ Centenary and Graduate Award holders.
Up to four awards of £2,500 each will be made to candidates who have obtained a Bachelors/Masters degree in either chemistry or chemical engineering and be about to complete either:
- the 2nd year of a PhD
- the 2nd year of employment in industry in the UK, having gone into industry directly after completing a Bachelors/Masters degree
The Head of each University Chemistry or Chemical Engineering Department may nominate one PhD student. An industrial Site Manager or Head of Department may nominate one candidate.
Candidates should complete the online application form which must be supported by a confidential reference, which pays special attention to the criteria listed below. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
- Evidence of commitment to an industrial career
- Understanding of challenges and opportunities facing industry and a vision of how they can contribute
- Ability to communicate their interest and enthusiasm to a wider audience
- Willingness and ability to take part in the Institute’s activities
Nominate a Candidate
You can nominate a candidate for this Award by completing the relevant forms below:
- Please ask your nominee to complete the Centenary Award – NOMINEE Nomination Form below – once your nominee completes his/her form, you and your nominee will receive a notification email with a copy of his/her submission.
- Please provide your Supporting Statement by completing the Centenary Award – HEAD OF DEPARTMENT/INDUSTRIAL SITE MANAGER Supporting Statement below (this can be found under the Nominee Nomination Form). Please note, you are not required to wait until your nominee has submitted his/her form before completing your Supporting Statement. Once you have completed your Supporting Statement, you and your nominee will receive notification confirming your submission (however your Supporting Statement will remain confidential).
Please ensure that BOTH the Nominee Nomination Form and your Supporting Statement are completed and returned as soon as possible.
Please note we advise completing the nomination forms below using the web browser Google Chrome where possible.
THE CLOSING DATE FOR NOMINATIONS WAS FRIDAY 14 JULY 2017. THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WHO APPLIED.
INTERVIEWS TAKE PLACE ON 12 SEPTEMBER AND AWARDS WILL BE PRESENTED TO SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES AT THE INSTITUTE AWARDS CEREMONY ON FRIDAY 8 DECEMBER 2017, TO WHICH THEIR NOMINATORS WILL ALSO BE INVITED.
Information on the 2018 round of nominations will be publicised in late 2017 or early 2018.
||University of Strathclyde
||Imperial College London
||University of Oxford