Partners

The Salters’ Institute would like to thank the following sponsors.

City and Guilds

For 135 years City & Guilds has been working with Employers, Training Providers and Governments to help people get into a job, progress on the job and move on to the next job. As a registered charity, its surplus is invested back into education and student support programmes. Through its products and services, people are able to gain the skills they need to be successful. It operates in over 80 countries and remains committed to developing skills across the world.

Visit website

CLEAPSS

CLEAPSS is an advisory service providing support in science and technology for a consortium of local authorities and their schools including establishments for pupils with special needs. It has around 2000 associate members.

CLEAPSS first started in 1963 as CLEAPSE (Consortium of Local Education Authorities for the Provision of Science Equipment).

In 1988 the name was changed to CLEAPSS (Consortium of Local Education Authorities for the Provision of Science Services) to reflect a change of emphasis from equipment to a range of services. Since then, Local Education Authorities became Local Authorities and their services expanded to include D&T, so CLEAPSS was registered as a Trade Mark.

CLEAPSS is now simply a name and not an acronym.

Visit website

Nuffield Foundation

The Nuffield Foundation is a charitable trust established in 1943 by William Morris, Lord Nuffield. It aims is to improve social well-being by funding research and innovation projects in education and social policy. It also aims to build research capacity in science and social science, most notably through its research placements for Year 12 students.

Visit website

Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851

The Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 was established in 1850 by Her Majesty Queen Victoria to organise the first world trade fair: The Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations. It was an enormous success, attracting more than 6 million visitors and made a substantial profit. When the Exhibition closed in October 1851, the Royal Commission was then established as a permanent body to spend the profits in realising Prince Albert’s ambition to “increase the means of industrial education and extend the influence of science and art upon productive industry”.

The Commissioners purchased and created upon their Estate in South Kensington an educational centre of world renown. They have also established schemes of fellowships and scholarships for advanced study and research in science, engineering, the built environment and in art and have promoted other educational ventures of national value under the terms of the Charter.

Visit website

SSERC

SSERC is a Local Authority shared-service providing support across all thirty-two Scottish Education Authorities. Their services are available to elected members and officers of Local Authorities, teachers, student teachers and technicians. In addition, the majority of FE colleges and independent schools within Scotland are members of the organisation.

Visit website

The Armourers and Brasiers’ Company

The Company originated as a guild of armourers in the City of London in 1322 and has occupied the same site since 1346. The present Company was formed in 1708 by incorporating the Brasiers who were workers in brass and copper.

Early objectives of the Company were preserving a monopoly in making armour in London, and maintaining its quality by inspection and hallmarking. Continuing excellence in craftsmanship was ensured by a rigorous apprenticeship system. A young person entering the trade would be bound to a master for seven years after which, on production of a satisfactory ‘master-piece’, he could become a Freeman of the Company. Later he could seek election as a full member or Liveryman (i.e. with the right to wear the distinctive clothing or ‘livery’ of the Company).

In recent years the Armourers & Brasiers have carried forward their ancient traditions of metalworking and technological education by concentrating their charitable giving on the support of individuals and educational projects in materials science. In particular the Company seeks to encourage young people to see the excitement of materials science as a choice for university and career, to the ultimate benefit of British industry.

Visit website

The Company of the Merchant Adventurers of the City of York

The Company has been in continuous existence since 1357 and looks forward to celebrating its 650th Birthday on 20th March 2007.

Originally a religious fraternity, it comprised of many influential men and women from the outset. For many years it dominated trade within York and controlled a growing trade with the Continent of Europe. It was given its present name under the Royal Charter granted by Queen Elizabeth 1 in 1581.

Today the Company remains an influential body within the City, it is the sole Trustee of two registered charities and it runs its ancient Hall as a Registered Museum. At present it is seeking to increase its charitable works within the general field of education.

Visit website

The Royal Society of Chemistry

The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) is the Professional Body for chemists and the Learned Society for chemistry. It is one of the most prominent and influential independent scientific organisations in Britain.

Through its 46,000 members, including academics, teachers and industrialists, the RSC promotes the interests of chemists and the benefits of chemical science. Together with The Salters’ Institute, they have been a major contributer to the Salters’ Festivals of Chemistry since 2005 and have underwritten the Salters’ Chemistry Camps since 1998.

The Royal Society of Chemistry has been pleased to support the Chemistry Camps since their inception and firmly believe that they are a valuable way of showing young people how interesting chemistry can be.

Visit website

The University of York

The University of York Science Education Group (UYSEG) was established in 1983, and has a national and international reputation for research and for the development of evidence-informed school science curricula.

Visit website

The Worshipful Company of Horners

The first historic reference to the Company dates back to 1284, although the craft of the horner dates much earlier. As the craft of working with horn declined, in 1943 the Company decided to adopt horn’s modern equivalent, plastics. Today, the Company maintains both its ancient links to the City of London and to the Plastics Industry and continues to support the horner’s craft. Its Charities and Awards support activities in education, design, the City and industry.

Visit website

Support Chemistry Education…. Find out how to become a partner today >

Salters' Institute Partners

View all partners